Perilous Pond is a fun push-your-luck game about frogs eating fireflies in an ever-changing pond. The previews are all very positive and we’re super-stoked about getting the game into the next phase! If you’re at all interested in Frogs, push-your-luck games and/or cool dice give us a follow over on Kickstarter, it would mean the world to us!
As part of the Preparations for the upcoming Crowdfunding campaign we’re starting to assemble the Preview copies of Perilous Pond.
The more complicated components like card decks and game box are all designed and has arrived. The standard meeples we’re using has arrived and we have enough of the custom pike meeple for 10 games. The current issue is the crystal gems we’re using as fireflies. We have received plenty of the red, white and blue ones but the dark yellow ones were out of stock at spielematerial.de. We’ve ordered some yellow ones from The Game Crafter but we’re not sure if they are the same hue.
Hopefully this preview edition will be much closer to the final result than the Bushido Duels preview edition. We’ve learned a lot* about designing the various things that make a game a game…
My favorite thing is, the box size matches Bushido Duels almost exactly so the games makes an excellent pair.
Let’s briefly cover the elephant in the room…I haven’t mentioned the rule-book yet, and yeah…That’s still a bit away. We’ve worked through the book in Swedish and are getting quite close to having all needed graphics and text. There are still rough patches that needs to be ironed out and after that we’ll translate into English**.
So to summarize, we’re close to having all components for the preview editions of Perilous Pond. Rules are also coming along nicely but will likely be the last piece of the puzzle.
To help with the (hopefully) upcoming Kickstarter campaign I started messing about with 3d-rendering using Blender.
These images show the progress so far. A decent representation of the game components along with the box. We will hopefully be able to use these scenes / models on the back of the box, on some promo-material and in an eventual Kickstarter campaign for the game.
The hardest part has been to get the look of the firefly crystals right, I’m still not 100% satisfied but I think it’s good enough for use on the back of the preview edition. Cards, dice and meeples were surprisingly easy to get into decent shape.
The intended use of the rendering above is to use on the back of the prototype box we’re producing for preview copies.
Another nice thing is that we’ve been able to try out different options for the dices. Producing three dimensional images really helps bring a choice to life.
Working with this has been sort of relaxing. Sitting down an hour or two at a time and just working through a scene or trying different shaders…